Boat Painting

Boat Painting
This was a picture I painted in 2009. For more of my art, click on More Art in November, 2010. Enjoy!

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Windemere

One can feel the pressure and anxiety hanging over the crowd at Windemere Ranch Middle School. As each student waits outside his or her classroom for the bell to ring and the most important test of the year – the Finals—to begin, almost all the kids are reviewing and absorbing as much last minute information as they possibly can. But unlike what one would expect, most people don’t have their nose buried in a book; instead, they are talking to each other and nervously joking around. Some are quizzing their friends on possible test questions, some are going over extra test information with their buddies, and others are answering questions that their classmates have. This day, in particular, highlights the essence of Windemere, my community. Although highly competitive in many areas, the people of Windemere always enjoy helping each other. Everywhere one looks, one can find this attitude. In sports, for example, most athletes try hard to beat one another, but they also give each other tips and push each other to do better. At school, students are always trying to get the highest marks, yet they still help each other study and learn. This attitude Windemere carries has greatly influenced me to be both competitive and helpful. Although most people consider competitiveness and helpfulness as almost opposite characteristics, my community has taught me otherwise. I want to be the best because I truly am the best, not because others are worse than me; I want to be successful since I went that extra mile when nobody else was willing to do so. One example of this is when I was drawing for the 2010 PTSA Reflections competition. For two consecutive nights, I drew from three o’clock to one o’clock in the morning, perfecting my artwork: that is just how competitive I am. My friends, who were also entering in the competition, asked me for help the next day, and I was just as determined to help them succeed, suggesting ideas for him and helping him express those ideas better. When I got back home, I looked at my own art again, and saw areas in which I could improve based on mistakes my friends have made. In this way, the people of Windemere can compete against each other, yet learn and grow at the same time, and this has truly etched a deep mark in my personality.

9 comments:

  1. wow sounds like a great community

    ReplyDelete
  2. it sounds really intense though... :( Windemere isn't like that. well... not when i lived there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what how the heck does that sound intense???

    ReplyDelete
  4. maybe just the beginning. pretty good overall though

    ReplyDelete
  5. What are you guys talking about? i think its really good :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the new title: iEpiphany! creative and modern...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much! I'm thinking about changing the URL into http://i-epiphany.blogspot.com but keeping it the same for now so people know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. maybe make a post about it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a good idea. I'll go do that.

    ReplyDelete